3rd house for preschools and early education?

Greetings astrologers,

I've been absent from the forum for a while due to the overwhelming task of completing my dissertation which is almost finished and I'll be able to publish the results soon enough (the are related to the use of astrology for meaning finding).

I was wondering which house you use for children schools, kindergartens, etc -- 3rd (in association with Gemini) or what? 9H does not seem to fit as it has to do with higher education. Suddenly I started to question whether the 3rd house is traditionally associated with children' places of care and learning. Actually, come to think of it, there were no kindergartens in the 18th century. :-)

Thank you!

Hi Elumen -

I hope you finish your dissertation soon, I know it must be a load on one's shoulders. :D I have been helping a coworker with her psychology (PhD) dissertation the past few weeks, actually.

Here's a useful index of significators, in case anyone hasn't already found it on this site:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/index_list.html

It's from Deborah Houlding's book on the houses, and you will see that she lists schools as a third house matter. You are saying preschools, or lower level education in general? Even if it mostly involved looking after the child, which is bordering on 6th house territory, I would still think it's 3rd house. Teachers of lower-level education can also be 3rd house. Obviously, higher education (college, post grad, etc.) would be the 9th, so we'd want to leave that for adults or perhaps children who are in higher education (geniuses, advanced children) and capable of understanding such a house.

If this is a question of the quality of the school/education system for a child, besides the usual the things we look at, especially the condition of the Moon, I would hope that the child is being benefited in the chart by the 3rd ruler, but also maybe more so by Mercury. Mercury rules "schoolmasters," according to Lilly, and is the planet of intellect and ability to learn, etc.

Thank you Tara and Tanit! Your answers are as usual quite helpful. I'm comparing schools for my children, so I'd have to reserve 5th H for their significator, and 3rd from the 5th for the potential school. The chart I get has complex indications, Mercury is debilitated but he is L5 and L1, THe moon is dignified, but in the 12H. Interesting considerations. L3 is Jupiter in mutual reception with Mercury, but H3 does not behold L1... So, a mixed bag.

Hi elumen
and "break a leg" for your dissertation! :)

It's a interesting question, in my opion, i've already analyzed in past because my mother and sister are pedagogues.

It's undoubted the supreme power of III in school question - inferior and high - and for long time i've took this House for question about kindergartens and primary school (Nursery school) then i read a most important description of V on Marc Edmund Jones' Horary Astrology:
[b]p. 189[/b] wrote:The "education" ruled by the fifth house is a process of learning what is already know and organized by society, and so does not include "research" in the sense of special or institutionalized enterprise, although any individual creative discovery is charted by the house. The distinction here is first of all between naive insight or the sheer creative genius of man, and the determined attack on some given problem which is always the nature of simple "work" indicated by the sixth.
Jones distinguishs the school learning - it based on research and absorption of intellectual informations - and creative or istinctual learning producted by pleasure and recreation like in kindergartens. In fact, the pedagogues stimulate the creativity of children with toys and specific games, thus they introject first laws of society.

This author lived in a particular period (transition between XIX-XX century), in exact moment of kindergarten born, the firsts go back to 1836-50.
Tara wrote: The 5th is associated with children and with play, which is mostly what kids do in preschool. Learning through play, but still play.
So, i agree with Tara. :)

AD