Receptions

Hello everybody!
How do you think, if a reception between two planets in their debilities is found in a chart (for example Venus in Scorpio and Mars in Libra), can this be considered a regular reception? How does it work and does it work at all?
Thank you beforehand!
Best regards

Hi,

Check out this chart:

Janis Joplin
January 19, 1943
9:45 am + 5 hrs
Port Arthur Texas, USA
29 N 53' 55"
93 W 55' 43

Saturn is in Gemini, the detriment of Jupiter and Jupiter is in Cancer the detriment of Saturn. In The Astrologer's Apprentice No. 15, John Frawley argued that this is a "negative mutual reception," and valid as such. Joplin's Saturn is at the bottom of her chart, ruling her ASC and in aspect and mutual reception with Mercury ruler of the rational mind indicating depression, and Jupiter is in his exaltation in the 5th house of pleasure. Exaltation is associated with exaggeration and excess, so the excess fed the depression and the depression fed the excess, a pretty accurate description of much of Joplin's short life.

Tom

Tom

Generally speaking an opposition Venus/Mars is not quite a perfect combination (For example Dorotheus speaks about inconstancy in opinion, bad effects on marriage an so on)

If we have one of them in detriment but with another planet (say Venus in Scorpio with Jupiter in Taurus), this again would be an inconvenient position.

To come more close to your example, we have first to take in consideration that planets express also the message of that sign. Being in detriment for a planet determines a less perfect expression of the significance of that sign (the case with a Venus in Scorpio for example) and also of planet itself.

But signs also have special relations one with another. In our case Scorpio and Taurus are signs that see and hear each other, Taurus being the commanding one.

Regarding reception in your example the answer is somehow different according to the significance of planets effects. If consider that planets only express the significance of signs than the reception is good in this case. But if you consider that planets have also their significance than the significance of the reception is changed.

So in conclusion the reception functions in your example, but is less effective because first of all we have the opposition between planets, and is somehow not harmonious. Another solution would be to take in consideration strictly the planets and to say that is a bad omen for the issue signified by planets, but to take them more cooperative when taking in consideration the significances of house. Nota bene that if the planets are not in opposition (just in opposite signs) the effect is different.

Also pay attention to other factors like aspects for example, because these factors can change the effect in good or bad.
Also in my opinion this type of reception shouldn?t be considered bad ab initio.

Hello,

To Annushka,

In your example, Bonatti would say that there is no reception as Libra and Scorpio are not in Ptolemaic aspect to each other. In Bonatti's scheme (and many medieval astrologers for that matter), aspect is required for reception and mutual reception.

Reception:

A receives/welcomes B if B is in A's rulership (by domicile, exaltation or 2 of the lower dignities i.e. term, triplicity or face) AND A aspects B (Conj, Sextile, Trine, Square or Opposition).

B receives/welcomes A if A is in B's rulership (by domicile, exaltation or 2 of the lower dignities i.e. term, triplicity or face) AND A aspects B (Conj, Sextile, Trine, Square or Opposition).

If both conditions occur, then (and only then) you have mutual reception.

If A is in B's dignity AND B is in A's dignity AND they do not aspect each other (Ptolemaic aspect) - the condition is called Generosity

Avraham Ibn-Ezra, "The Beginning of Wisdom", trans. by Meira B. Epstein, ARHAT Publications, 1998, Page 125:-
Generosity is when two planets are in each other's domicile, or exaltation, or some other rulership; even though they do not join nor aspect each other, there is [still] reception between them.

In traditional astrology, can planets in two different signs of the same element form a square aspect ?
E.g. are Mercury on the 2nd degree of Capricorn, and Mars on the 27th degree of Virgo considered to be in square aspect? Is this still considered mutual reception by exaltation?

Receptions

Thank you all for your answers!
But maybe I should define my question... Well, I wonder, if a planet can gain any power from a weak planet in detriment or fall. There are different oppinions on this subject, this kind of receprion (of two planets in their debilities) is sometimes said to be an evel one, i.e. to increase the negative effect of planets in debilities. As far as I`m aware John Gadbury didn`t take a reception into consideration if the planets partaking in it weren`t strong by themselves, that is if they didn`t have any power.
Best regards

Hi Annushka,

Bonatus is my favourite author on the receptions. In Liber Astronomiae he describes situations where planets in reception are unable to retain their virtue due to their weak nature. He explains that sometimes the stronger planet giving virtue can be damaged when the weaker planet is unable to retain the virtue given to it and gives it back. One situation he believes is damaging is when the receiving planet is combust or in retrograde. In this situation, the planet is weak and is unable to retain the virtue being offered. If you have a copy of Liber Astronomiae the relevant chapters are XC and XCI. I'm not sure if the translation is online.

If two planets are in opposition to each other, both in their detriment, and are in reception with each other by rulership, the reception may not be beneficial. Even though they have clear regard for each other by way of rulership, neither are in a position to help each other because of their own weak nature. Technically they are still in reception but there may be no benefits conferred by this reception. I guess the short answer is that it will depend on the individual chart and the situation that is being asked about. If the planets in reception are significators then it needs to be looked at closely and the debility taken into consideration.

example

Let me give an example and consider about reception of the Sun.

Sun is in 22? Psc, Venus in 15? Psc, Mars in 26? Psc, Neptune in 24? Sag, Jupiter in partile conjunction with Saturn in Libra. These planets have rulership over Sun. /Mars rules triplicity, term and face./

1) Sun is received by Mars but the last is in combustion.
2) Sun is received by Venus but she is also in combustion.
3) Sun is received by Neptune but in square aspect with it.
4) Jupiter is a perigrine and has no aspects but in partile conjunction with a planet in its exaltation and triplicity.

Ancient and/or medieval authorities said that receiver commit its own virtue to the received planet. Is above Sun well recieved?