Oh I don't see how you can suggest that Rory - the paper merely points out, (p.302) that the text "only presents a correlation between planets and the zodiacal signs. No degrees are as a rule indicated".
It then explains the absence of reference to a number of usual features, including the loci, and that it omits a reference to Venus.

The full translation of the text in question is as follows:
Translation:
1. Regnal Year 5 of (Antoninus
2. Month 3 of the Summer Season (= Epeiph) in the Greek (calendar), the last day, 3rd hour of the night:
3. the Sun, Mercury, and Mars in Leo;
4. Jupiter in Virgo;5. Saturn in Aries;
6. the Moon in Capricorn;
7. the Ascendant in Pisces.
This is quite similar to what we find in the preservation of ancient cuneiform texts, where it is considered that the expense of recording data meant only the absolutely essential astronomical info was recorded, so a working astrologer could reconstruct the chart from that at any time.

Unfortunately, another example that gives no information on how the data was interpreted.

Eid Nagy Eid Abbas from the Cairo U, Egypt has this paper
'A new Demotic Horoscope from Medinet Habu published in The Journal of Egyptian Archeology 2021, Vol 107'
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 3211055202

Rather than suggesting 'whole sign houses', he says that 'it might confirm a trend among Theban astrologers going from more detailed and complicated compositions to less elaborate and more simplified ones.'
He goes on to say that
"This transition might have been the result of what Winkler calls `competing traditions or schools' that existed in the Theban region in the early Roman Period. Additionally, it might also be the outcome of the variable astronomical competency and the different types of the available astrological almanacs and manuals, which left behind two variants of texts, i.e. rough and elaborate horoscopes"

Deborah

In search of a more elaborate horoscope
On page 246, he mentions that...
"Another example from Medinet Habu is the horoscope of O. Glasgow D 1925.96, dated to the seventh year AD.
This unique astrological ostracon provides different pieces of information90 and it oddly offers astrological interpretations and forecasts.91". referring to a paper from A. Jones 'The place of astronomy in Roman Egypt', Apeiron 27.4 (1994)
I do not have a copy of this one.

This is the latest I have on the subject published in 2021. Fortunately, the Egyptians did not have to record the more than 1 million asteroids identified by the scientists.

Best to you,
Ouranos :)
Blessings!

Ouranos wrote:Eid Nagy Eid Abbas from the Cairo U, Egypt has this paper
'A new Demotic Horoscope from Medinet Habu published in The Journal of Egyptian Archeology 2021, Vol 107'
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 3211055202

Rather than suggesting 'whole sign houses', he says that 'it might confirm a trend among Theban astrologers going from more detailed and complicated compositions to less elaborate and more simplified ones.'
He goes on to say that
"This transition might have been the result of what Winkler calls `competing traditions or schools' that existed in the Theban region in the early Roman Period. Additionally, it might also be the outcome of the variable astronomical competency and the different types of the available astrological almanacs and manuals, which left behind two variants of texts, i.e. rough and elaborate horoscopes"

Deborah

In search of a more elaborate horoscope
On page 246, he mentions that...
"Another example from Medinet Habu is the horoscope of O. Glasgow D 1925.96, dated to the seventh year AD.
This unique astrological ostracon provides different pieces of information90 and it oddly offers astrological interpretations and forecasts.91". referring to a paper from A. Jones 'The place of astronomy in Roman Egypt', Apeiron 27.4 (1994)
I do not have a copy of this one.

This is the latest I have on the subject published in 2021. Fortunately, the Egyptians did not have to record the more than 1 million asteroids identified by the scientists.

Best to you,
Ouranos :)
My point is that calculations were so diffi ult that using whole sign houses was the obvious choice,not because they work better but due to degree innacuracy