Event chart > Horary chart --- Yes or No?

Hello Skyscript people,

I've stumbled upon an astrologer (Marcos Patchett) who referred to Dorotheus and Hephaestus. In his reference he mentioned that the latter two talked about an "hierarchy of charts".
That is, if we have the time of the exact event it's preferable to use it (for our analysis or horary purposes) over a time in which a person heard about an event, and that is preferable over the time a person comes to us with a question (a 'regular' horary time).

The logic is sound, I believe, when we have an event which was involved.
In your horary practice do you use such a distinction and use an event time, when available, over the time the querent comes to you?

The disadvantage may be that using a uniform and regular method of judging horaries, by taking the time querents contact us, is more consistent. However, it may do an injustice to the astrology, as we should be using the stronger chart. Just like Ben Dykes once mentioned that the classic chart hierarchy is: Mundane over Natal over Horary (from large to small).

---

Here's the quote by Patchett (Astrology Podcast Ep.346):
"So in Dorotheus and Hephaestus, I think they said if a client comes to you when something has happened, ideally cast the chart for the moment that the event occurred, and that’ll be the inception chart for that moment and you’ll use that. And then they say, “If you don’t have that and you don’t have the time for that moment, then use the time for when the client first found out about it, when they first learned about the event that had happened. But if that isn’t present, then use the chart for when the client comes to you asking the question."
https://www.gurastro.com

Dima Gur,

Yes I do that if I witness something happening. And take note of what the person is saying or expressing which can easily be translated into a question.
Recently I was accompanying an old friend of mine for her grocery shopping. She fell and as soon as she hit the ground, she said: 'Oh no! I broke my leg'.
Was she right? I noted the time.
She was MercuryL1 in 10th (South = the ground and knees and ham according to Deborah Houlding) separating from a square to Saturn R in the 6th. Obviously, the answer was No.
And Moon in Virgo in the 1st lording the 11th only making good aspects. She was immediately surrounded by a group of people including a nurse who attended to her with medical expertise.
She ended up with only bruises.
Inception charts can be used for the matter at hand.
Blessings!

I do use event charts when I can and you may notice I often ask for them when people post a horary. I usually find both charts say the same thing, but it can be helpful to have an event chart when you are having a harder time assessing a horary. I only use them for what I consider planned events like submitting an application for something (an offer on a home, money to be borrowed or paid back, etc.) or something like a job interview or wedding, etc. I don't necessarily find an event chart to be more accurate because it is more like a mundane moment and experience than can be shared between various individuals and not just the querent. A horary is more personal.

Agree with you Tanit.
That's why the event cannot be altered by your personal view of it. You are a witness.
Only what the person is expressing is worth investigating.
In the example of my friend, as she fell on the ground, she could have voiced many different concerns, like 'Help me' or "I am going to miss my appointment today" or 'What is happening?"
But she said "I broke my leg' and this is what can be looked at from an inception chart. To some extent, we should only answer questions coming directly from the querent but sometimes we cheat and try to answer questions coming from a gossip-magazine! :D
Blessings!

I do if the person (querent) connects with the event.
It could be from curiosity, fear, anxiety, anything that triggers a question in her mind.
Say someone witness a child being hit by a car. Several questions can pop up. Who is that driver? Is the child safe? Is that my neighbor's child? For whatever comes up, the chart will answer the question.
Blessings!

For the most part, I find astrological rules to be fairly universal but I would not read an event chart as if it were a horary question. It is the energy of a given moment (or planned undertaking that can span many years) not a specific question posed by a person. Where event charts typically become useful is for planning something - is it a good time or not. Horary can be used for planning but it can also just be asked for clarity on a given issue.

As an example, if I were traveling somewhere and used an event chart, I would not assume the 1st house was me and how I experienced the trip. I could be traveling with other people as well and we might all have varying experiences. The 1st might more likely just represent the journey itself. Often event charts are looked at in concert with the natal to see if it is favorable or not, and that can help explain why someone might have a nice time on a journey when another person doesn't. Sometimes the entire trip could be in shambles, such as if Mars were conjunct Uranus on the MC and in hard aspect with the Moon.