Annadeer,

See Robert Hand here for the quotes below
https://www.astro.com/astrology/in_fortune_e.htm

"As of this writing we have found over two dozen lots which come from Egyptian sources. This should dispel once and for all the notion that lots are Arabic. Most of them in fact are from a book called the Panaretos which was attributed to Hermes Tresmegistes. He is no doubt a legendary figure with no historical basis, but anything attributed to him before the Middle Ages can be safely ascribed to Hellenistic Egyptian sources or earlier. The Lot of Fortune was attributed to the also legendary Nechepso and Petosiris, a legendary pharaoh and his priest."

"In ancient astrology the Ascendant is the primary indicator of the physical body and health. The Moon is also a very important secondary indicator about the body. But there is a difference between them. The Ascendant was considered to be the body at its most physical, material level. The Moon was the living aspect of the body, in fact soul, but soul incarnated in a physical body. The Part of Fortune, being composed of both of these along with the Sun, is also an indicator of the living, physical body and its relationships with the physical and social world in which the native lives. Its capacity to signify prosperity comes from this. If the Part of Fortune is in good condition, the relationship between the native and the physical and social world in which he or she lives is one that supports the native and enables the native to live well. If the Part of Fortune is in poor condition, the native has a harder time living in relationship with the world that supports the native. The same can also be said about the relationships of the Part of Fortune and health"
This answer your question #1

"And Fortune signifies everything that concerns the body, and what one does through the course of life. It becomes indicative of possessions, reputation and privilege."
Paulus Alexandrinus a 4th century author

". . . the Lot itself will possess the power of the Horoskopos, that of life; the tenth zoidion [sign] from this, the power of the Midheaven, that of reputation; the 7th, the power of the Descendant; the 4th, of the subterraneous zoidion, and the remaining places will possess the power of the 12 regions."
"We have also found the 11th place [sign counted as a house] from Fortune to be an acquisitive place, a bestower of belongings and goods, and especially when benefics are upon it or are testifying"
Vettius Valens

"Clues to the part's significance can be found in classical mythology. Fortuna was the Italian goddess of destiny, (the first-born daughter of Jupiter), whose worship was said to have been introduced to Rome by King Servius Tullius. At her famous shrine at Praeneste, oracles were obtained by a child drawing from a bag of wooden tokens, each inscribed with a cryptic message. She was also honoured as the bringer of fertility and increase, her name meaning 'She who brings things', from the Latin ferre 'to bring'. Her Greek counterpart was Tyche, from the Greek teuchein 'to cause'. Tyche was originally a philosophical concept rather than a goddess, the 'pure chance' which brings either good or evil fortune. The later worship of Agathe Tyche, 'Good Fortune', may owe something to the cult of Fortuna."
David Plant

In Medieval Astrology, the PF was calculated differently depending on whether the chart was Diurnal or Nocturnal.

PF = Ascendant + Moon - Sun (for a diurnal chart).
PF = Ascendant + Sun - Moon (for a nocturnal chart).
Lilly used one formula for both diurnal and nocturnal charts.
PF = Ascendant + Moon - Sun
-------------------------
This being said, Ivy Jacobson describes Fortuna in Horary if dignified and well aspected as 'where matters will IMPROVE" especially if the Ruler of Fortuna is also dignified. It is also used to recover lost items.
If we view Fortuna as the Moon's ASC by its formula, it makes sense that the general conditions and circumstances will be reflected by this Lot. Consider also the relationship between the Sun and Moon in the chart and this also applies to any Lot formulas.
Example: Part of sickness, look at Mars and Saturn
Example: Marilyn Monroe. Her Part of Fortune in Aries is sextile to the Moon, in conjunction with Venus, and trine Neptune. Her success in movies with her ability to project a mythical femininity. Yet, the ruler of Fortuna Mars in the 8th quincunx NE at the ASC also indicates that circumstances in her life brought a feeling of being lost and out of place. Where do I belong?

My own approach is to always look at the Ruler of Fortuna in relationship to itself and to other planets to get a sense of 'what animates' the person. It is indicative of the Astral plane, what emotes you.
Example: I have JU, exalted in Cancer ruling Fortuna in Saggitarius and this JU is conjunct ME, ruler of my ASC. At a venerable age, last time I took a pill was some 50 years ago. Lots of water and seafood, leafy greens, grains, beans have helped me stay healthy. And I believe that some angels in the astral plane are working behind my back. Not sure what I did in a previous life but I am sure they are awaiting me for a big party when I cross the gate.

To your 2nd question
2. I know that POF in Capricorn is not good -- but what if POF is in Capricorn conjunct Venus in the 11th?

I would not say that it is bad by itself. Look at Saturn and what it does in the chart and also what house does VE rules, which can show 'improvement' in the matter related provided the aspects it receives.

And also counting the Lot as House I of Fortune, here is what Manilius says:
https://sevenstarsastrology.com/twelve- ... -the-lots/

"Manilius assigned a topic to every place relative to Fortune. Though these places are called lots by Manilius and have meanings unique to him. The meanings assigned to the places relative to Fortune in Manilius are given in Book III of the Astronomicon. I briefly summarize the significations below.

Fortune – home and property
2nd from Fortune – warfare
3rd from Fortune – business, friends and associates
4th from Fortune – relationship with the law and politics
5th from Fortune – marriage
6th from Fortune – financial resources and stability
7th from Fortune – grim danger
8th from Fortune – social status and fame
9th from Fortune – children and parenting
10th from Fortune – character, tradition, and custom
11th from Fortune – strength and health (of paramount importance)
12th from Fortune – the fruit of our labors"

Blessings,
Ouranos
Blessings!

Merci beaucoup Ouranos!

My question related to a horary:
Moon 14 Libra in 7th square POF 14 Capr & Venus 20 Capricorn in 11th

I know that POF in 11 and POF conjunct Venus are indicators of good fortune,
but was wondering if the presence of a square (rather than a sextile or trine) and the 'barrenness' of Capricorn overturned the positivity

I think you gave me the key by mentioning the importance of looking at the dispositors:
Saturn in Aquarius in the 12th house is well-placed both for sign and house,
and Venus and the Moon are in mutual reception

Am I right to assume it's a positive answer, based on this? (leaving for the sake of this exercise other elements in the horary aside)

In Astrologia Gallica, Book XXI, Morin de Villefranche says...

"When a planet is in unfavorable zodiacal or terrestrial state but its dispositor is in a favorable state, the affairs signified by the former will go badly in the beginning, but later will take a turn for the better, above all if the first planet approaches a good aspect from its dispositor. On the other hand, if the planet is in favorable zodiacal state, but its dispositor is in an unfavorable one, the success or happiness at the beginning will change into misfortune."

Here POF and Venus receive a square from the Moon (ruled by Venus) in the 7th. This fulfills the first condition that things will go badly at the beginning, like unable to 'repair' or 'improve' the relationship. Furthermore, I presume that the Moon is ruling the 5th, so children or a love affair will stand in the way of a recovery. Changes (Moon) in the relationship (7th) are not going the right way.
However, the dispositor Saturn (in rulership and Joy in the 12th) indicates that later things will take a turn for the better. Like anything else, Saturn needs Time. Like getting off the highway and taking a retreat from the noise around. Suggestion: Go to a spiritual weekend in a secluded environment where you have time to settle down and reflect on what's next.
Blessings!