How to appease Mars ?

I have observed over several years that Mars transits have consistently worked against my happiness & well being,I understand that in Vedic astrology there are ways to appease Mars,I don't wish to worship planets as I believe that is inherently wrong, but maybe someone knows of ways to make Mars less of an enemy. My Mars is in Gemini 4 degrees 35 minutes critical degree or sidereal Taurus conjunct the MC at 5 degrees 07 & every aspect to it is hard, no soft aspects. It presides over a mutable grand cross & a Yod.

Re: How to appease Mars ?

Zosma wrote:maybe someone knows of ways to make Mars less of an enemy.
hi Zosma: Here a a few simple and effective propitiatory suggestions for Mars:
  • Exercising patience.
    Helping younger brothers and those that serve us.
    Prayers and meditation in the morning daily for at least ten minutes.
Best regards and blessings.
~AJ

Thanks AJ
I do all those things & more but hey maybe Mars needs to be Mars, like the scorpion asking the frog if it can hike a ride on its back to traverse a river, half ways through it stings it, but you promised not to do that complains the frog but I couldn't help myself replies the scorpion.
It seems to me that with Mars ruler of Ketu on the 8th,& afflicting sun 12th ruler
& Pluto in the 12th that maybe Mars is a karmic task master from a past life dishing out retributions from God knows where.In veda there is a remedy for Saturn where you regularly feed black crows.Maybe Mars you keep a red candle alight during meditation using suitable incense ?

Until you make the unconscious conscious it will direct your life & you will call it fate.says Mr Icke.

Hi Zosma: there are hundreds and hundreds of upayas (remedies) in Indian astrology. Some good, many bad.
Another common one in India for Mars is to offer food articles to a cow. Not so easy in western society.
Yes, offering namkeen roti with mustard oil applied on it, in pieces to crows everyday morning is a remedy for Saturn.
The remedies I suggested that you indicate you are already doing are based on the Bhoota yagyam, one of the Panch Maha Yagyas (or the five great sacrifices) mentioned in Vedic literature and the Upanishads, and the planetary tastes and preferences. The use of a red candle and proper incense is in this spirit as well as offering red flowers etc.
You mentioned a dislike for worshipping planets so that leaves out mantra. Which are essentially prayers to the diety concerned. Also mantra is difficult for the ordinary person to do as it is a serious long term part of a larger sadhana.
Not having your full chart all I can say is that severe afflictions cannot be fully removed but can be mitigated with the help of propitiatory remedies over time.
Remedies in large part help us to be consciously aware of the negative influences in our lives that lead us to make better choices and rise above them.
You should also consider strengthening the functional benefics in your chart, this will help overall to keep the malefic influences from tugging so hard on other areas of life.
Be well.
~AJ

Thanks AJ
I will study further into the Vedic literature as this interests me, & it will help to round out my astrological knowledge,I appreciate your help very much.
God Bless

There is an interesting book by Anne Beversdorf which has remedies for balancing troublesome energies of the planets: Vedic Secrets of Happiness (Stariel Press, 2012). There are quiz questions to answer for each planet, and then a selection of remedial measures. This is really a kind of workbook for self discovery. The book includes stellar reviews by The Mountain Astrologer (Linda Johnsen) and David Roell of The Astrology Center of America. Dave writes in part:

I've got half a dozen books on remedies. Most of them are dull and full of gibberish. [But this book is different.] The heart of [the book] is planetary assessments. Go through them until you find the planet that hurts, and then go to the remedies section of the planet. There's a variety of remedies, some of them quite dazzling.

Linda Johnson writes:

This is one of the most exciting astrology books I've seen in years. It could revolutionize the way astrology is practiced in the West by returning it to its ancient roots. (The Mountain Astrologer, 2013)

Zosma, this might be the book you are looking for! The author talks about her own experience on how remedies have helped with her personal problems. I purchased this book a while ago, and then it landed on one of my many bookshelves. I buy lots of books! I think it's time to come off the bookshelf and be placed on my current reading and study table.

AJ, I wonder if you have seen this book and what you think of it in relation to what you know of India's remedial measures?
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Therese Hamilton wrote:AJ, I wonder if you have seen this book and what you think of it in relation to what you know of India's remedial measures?
I am not familiar with the book but it does sound interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it. The traditional remedies have withstood the test of time and are still widely practiced in India.

There are many ways to adapt charities for those in the western world uncomfortable with Hindu religious practices to mitigate negative planetary influences. Color therapy is another.

I am not so keen on gems. I think overall people are fleeced by unscrupulous astrologers and gem dealers in this regard. There is not one ancient source that I have read that recommends gems as a remedy. They only mention the gems for the planets, that is all. Charities, puja and mantra on the other hand they speak a lot about.

AJ wrote:
Therese Hamilton wrote:AJ, I wonder if you have seen this book and what you think of it in relation to what you know of India's remedial measures?
Hi Therese: I thought I would revisit this thread since I managed to pick up a used copy of Vedic Secrets of Happiness by Anne Beversdorf, (Stariel Press, 2012).

I thought your assessment of it spot on. I would in turn recommend it to anyone seeking guidance in this area.

Not traditional in Indian astrology but it includes remedies for the outer planets, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. The book also a includes a small section to guide the western astrologer in the use of remedies in the Indian system.

This first half of the book is totally geared towards those with little or even no astrological skills so they can determine which 'energy systems' are needing correction by answering a series of self assessment questionnaires. The actual remedies are provided in the last half and many are very accessible even to those uncomfortable with Hindu practices.

This book is a handy reference on upayes (remedies) for the beginning or professional astrologer, east or west.

It is still in print, or like me find a used copy.

Therese Hamilton wrote:AJ, I'm happy that you found a copy of Anne Beversdorf's book and can add your words of wisdom about the book. It's always helpful if several astrologers can recommend a book to others. This might be one of those books that didn't go far after publication due to lack of publicity. But it's a very unique book.
I agree with you Therese, it is an unique book as it does help bridge the broad chasm between Indian astrology and western traditions, though of course it is trying present an Indian approach to mitigate misery to a wider audience to relieve negative outcomes.

What good is astrology if it can't help relieve suffering?

My only real critique is that the work is just a bit light on the actual practice of japa (mantra or meditative recitation). This have might have been a conscious choice on the part of the author due to it becoming too 'Hindu' but what is presented is good material. Those that feel they need a deeper dip in the Universal river of Mercy will be led to do deeper research.

Again, all in all a good resource. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

One way to appease Mars is to perform regular physical exercises or sports activities that help to release energy and tension. Additionally, wearing red or coral-colored clothes and accessories can also help to harmonize the planet's energy.

Another way to appease Mars is to participate in philanthropic activities or volunteer work that aligns with Mars' values of courage and strength. Donating blood or participating in a charity run can also be ways to appease the planet.

Finally, chanting the mantra "Om Mangalaya Namaha" or reciting the Mars planetary hymn can also help to appease the planet and bring balance to its energy.