The Descendant ?

Hi Folks,

I'm sure I'll find lots on this but it isn't something that I hear many people reference.

What is your own personal definitions of The Descendant ?

Sure it rules the 7th House but it must have a clear influence on our own Personalities thru further Rulerships etc ...

H

hi woowoo,

it is not that the descendant rules the 7th.. the descendant defines the cusp of the 7th and is the declining side of the ascendant - which articulates the cusp of the 1st house - in most, but not all house systems...

it is associated with relationships and seeking harmony with others.. planets in the area define the nature of our relationships with others.. the sign on the cusp and the ruler of this sign help to define our relationships with others as well..

that's a start, lol... good luck with all this..

http://www.astrology-x-files.com/houses ... place.html

X files astrology gives a brief synopsis of the 7th as it relates to the descendant and it being the setting place in the chart. Obviously, it is where the Sun sets and thus the symbolism around it can relate to aging and a point of transition in your life, but it also can relate to change in general. In horary, the descendant can show a significant change, such as a move. It is directly opposite the ascendant, so it is a place that can signify open warfare against a person, such as open enemies or difficult periods. It can also show important relationships, and relationships bring change to your life by incorporating another person into it.

You are probably already aware that the angles in general tend to be regarded as powerful areas of the chart, especially regarding predictive techniques, where planets brought to angles are more pronounced, and I do not see any of the angles being necessarily different in their power to do that. They can be descriptive of the significant periods though. One of the most difficult and upsetting periods of my life was in childhood where Uranus conjunct Neptune was transiting my descendant, and I was made homeless and my world was turned upside down, so I often think of it as a point that can emphasize great change. When the period was over, I was an entirely different person. As the X files link mentions, it can show an awakening as well.

Very helpful

"it is associated with relationships and seeking harmony with others.. planets in the area define the nature of our relationships with others.. "

I've Mercury here. And that's the +VE part of the Situation !!

H

Descendant

I've seen it to mean "Not me" in a very general way; the Ascendant is "Me", and the Descendant is "Other". Also, a partner .... a roommate, spouse, ... anyone with whom you are "teamed up" or "paired up" in any way. In my chart, I was living with and helping out my Mom for many years. She was my "Roommate" more than my Mother. The Desc represented her more than either my MC or IC. In other words, as other have put it more succinctly than I have, the Asc is always "tied" or anchored somewhere, and the Desc indicates that connection, relationship, or concept.

Yes, the 7th is the house of the "other." I think the problem I am seeing here is that there is a lot of definitions of the 7th house being applied to the descendant angle. Is the descendant the same thing as the 7th house or is it something more?

I do see the descendant a bit differently than just the 7th house in a way that I do not view other angles as the same thing as the house they rule.

tanit - it is an interesting distinction you are trying to make.. in the case of the angles - all the houses next to them have a basis in the nature of the angle itself.. one could say planets are setting once they pass the midheaven and head down towards the descendant.. all the planets in the western hemisphere are '''descending''.. so how does the descendant differ, or distinguish itself in all of this? yes - the sun and any other planet for that matter - disappears once it drops below the descendant axis.. planets are said to be most strongly expressed on the angles too... the angle itself is thus more significant then the house itself, but it is the basis for the house too.. in fact, the whole idea of dividing up the space between the angles is up for debate.. whole signs just made it easier to think of signs as a basis for the houses! but, i digress..

perhaps the intake -has something to do with the challenge of the 6th house and all that it symbolizes too.. at what point does it change from 7th to 6th? - the descendant technically.. 5 degree rules and etc. not with standing - there is something about a planet descending below the horizon that has mystery and significance to it.. one must absorb or integrate that energy into oneself (thus a challenge of 6th house planets!). these are 6th house ideas as i see it.. so, the distinction to be made is between what is above, verses what is below the angle.. but either way - planets are setting in the western half of the chart going from being visible to being invisible or hidden..

venus is obviously an easier energy on the descendant then mars.. accepting something harmonious is easier then accepting something discordant.. but perhaps integrating saturn on the 7th angle is the best challenge of all, as it might force a person to recognize the energy they tend to project onto another is really an energy connected to themselves on some fundamental level.. well, perhaps that would require an alchemists ability to transform the energy from one of darkness to one of light - turning the beast into the beauty... obviously planets like the outers on the descendant angle are challenging given the unpredictability of them in this area of relationship - which really extends to connecting with anything outside our comfort zone..

someone said relationship is the path to greater awareness... i don't know you will get that via the ascendant, as it is more focused on self discovery.. i think these opposite ends of the axis are related - like 2 sides to the same coin... but it is a challenge to fully grasp the magic and mystery to all of it..

James- are the other house cusps considered angles, though? From what I understand, the angles are 4 in total and represent significant energy in a chart, different from the cusps of the other houses. If someone posted a question about the 7th house, I would be fine with a discussion on 7th house definitions but they asked specifically about the descendant. I am in no way an expert on astrology, though, and maybe others who hopefully have more time to share info can add to the discussion. I would research this better amd post quotes and links but have several exams and a research paper to deal with. Cheers!

I look at the four angles in a similar fashion like at - on another level - the Sun positions on the equinoxes and solstices respectively. In a sense, these crosses span the coordinate planes that the whole wheel of the houses and the zodiac respectively are built on. As such, they are intimately connected to the latter not only in regards to computation, but also in regards to meaning.

Visit my blog:
https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/

tanit - stay focused on your school work... you can come back to this later!!

yes - 4 angles, but 12 houses which begs the question about house the 12 house system came into being.. the angles are the basis for the houses.. how do they differ? i think the whole concept of houses relies on the angles.. however, one could say it was an extension from the 12 signs imposed on the angles too - which brings me back to whole sign houses..

at any rate - the angles are important and i would be happy to understand any distinction that could be made between the descendant and the 7th or 6th house.. mostly how i think of these topics is with the addition of a planet in the same area... the planet is a key factor for my better understanding the angles and houses.. i do like how you have separated the angle from the house though... perhaps someone else can take this up with more definition..

michael - i agree...astrology is like tapestry - everything is woven into everything else...

Really helpful information.

Do "We" feel the Descendant is itself afflicted ?

Or just antagonistic to the "Me Me" World We live in ?

There is no "I" in Descendant etc ....

H