Hi Mark,

I notice no one from Australia has commented on this topic yet.

In the state of New South Wales in Australia, birth certificates at least those issued for births in the 2nd half of last century, do not contain time of birth. This is for hospital based births. Home births can & do happen, but I'm not sure if they have to record the actual time of birth in those circumstances either.

See here for current info > http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/births/births.aspx

Hospital births only have the date, place etc.. on these official government documents which are often used for ID purposes. I use to work in this area of government record keeping so have some knowledge of the system & how it worked.
As far as actual time of day or night is concerned with births in this particular state, the hospitals themselves would have that information, but I'm not sure how long they keep it for, more than likely it would be controlled by legislation.
Libra Sun/ Pisces Moon/ Sagittarius Rising

Mark you said :-

"I recall Caroline Gerard (who is a former Chair of my Association and a Genealogist) telling me that before the 1980's Scottish birth certificates often tended to round off to the nearest quarter hour."

That is a priceless piece of information. I am concerned about the birth time of a relative of mine who was born in Glasgow in 1964. Her time is recorded as 3.45 pm and the chart has been troubling me because I see possible health issues. For that birth time her ascendant is a very late Virgo but only a couple of minutes forward in time would send it into Libra and alter all the house lords.
In your opinion do you think when they rounded off to the nearest quarter hour they would round forwards or backwards?

Mark,

Concerning the province of Quebec (Canada), hospitals recorded birth time since early 1950, at least. They also gave birth document (usually very small paper with parents name and TOB of the newborn). That was it. Before that, nothing.

Since 1974, the time of birth is usually registered with the civil registry. One must ask a full certificate to get the birth time. The abrigged certificate will not indicate this. As far as I know, no one but the native or someone very close can ask and get that.
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

Hi Mark
I send data of Argentina.
In Argentina, the record of the Civil Registry Office is in the CHURCHES, where the BAPTISM RECORDS were made, not BIRTHS !!!, I believe that something similar must have been done in the countries of the orbit of the Crown Spanish during the Stage of the Colony in Latin America.
The first fundamental law that marks the legal organization of
Civil Registers, comes from Law 1565, dated 10/31/1884, during
The government of President Julio A. Roca and established that within
Six months after the promulgation of the Law, the
Municipalities of the Capital and National Territories will establish
One or more offices of Registry of the Civil Status of Persons,
Stipulating general guidelines for organization, which were
Of the legal evolution of the Civil Registry.

Law of Civil Registry of the Capital of the Republic and national territories
In Collection of Laws and Decrees, T. 1, p, 366 and sig.
CHAPTER IV

Of births
42. The inscription of the birth will be made extending a heading that expresses:

1.- The place, day and time in which it is verified;

2.- Sex;

3.- The name given to the born;

4. - The name, surname and address of the father, mother and witnesses;

5.- The name and surname of the maternal and paternal grandparents;

6. - The name, surname and address of the person who solicits the birth registration.
?
Each Province will enforce the Civil Registry Act, for example in the mine, the Province of Salta, the Law of June 28, 1889. Thus each Province was implementing at its particular time, the operation of the Office of Civil Registry . It is also important to inform that for example in Salta, during the Military Dictatorship in 1967, there was a provision, which eliminated the obligation to report the HOUR of BIRTH, a subject that was included again, by INTERNAL DISPOSITION, in 2009.
Regards
Ing. Mario F. Raskovsky
Fundacion Centro Astrologico de Salta
Argentina
www.siderum.com

Hello everyone:

Regarding what Francois Carriere said about birth times in Quebec, he is only partially correct. I was born and raised in that Province (20 years), and later practiced astrology in four Canadian provinces, as well. While it is true that most Quebec hospitals recorded the birth times, it must be noted that churches and Parishes in Quebec, prior to 1982, were the one's responsible for registering all live births in the Province in Quebec prior to 1982.

Quebec birth and baptism certificates never recorded the time of birth, to my knowledge.

However, one received (as I did) a combined birth and baptism certificate which one took to the Quebec department of Births and Deaths for certification.

Now, that said, the Montreal hospital that I was born at, DID have a records department and I was told the hospital kept records of all live births for up to 40 years, including the time of birth.

Through rectification, I have since learned that my hospital time of birth is off by seven minutes.

In the provinces of Nova Scotia, Ontario, Alberta, and British Columbia, all citizens of those provinces typically do not have a birth time attached to their birth certificate. But most hospitals have the time of birth recorded in their records department, and I have learned that each hospital has different rules on who can access those records. You must have the full birth names to get the birth time, plus the birth parents names.

Regarding British Columbia, my daughter was born here, and I witnessed the entire birthing process. I noted the time of birth on my watch, which was calebrated to CBC radio time.

After the birth was over, much to my delight, me and the wife received a baby book, along with the recorded time of birth, plus a "certificate of live birth" from the Province of B.C. which also included the time of birth. So, while the birth certificate does not state the time of birth in B.C, the certificate of live birth does.

It must be said that the certificate of live birth is NOT a birth certificate. You have to apply for one, with your certificate.

It turns out that my daughter's time of birth was given to the nurse, by me, since I was in the room at the time along with our family Doctor. The Doctor noted the same time, as what I had recorded !

However, it should be noted that, in the entire maternity ward, I was the only guy visiting ! Sadly, many young Canadian women who give birth are single mothers and the father is nowhere to be seen ! That's not a very good commentary on the state of relationships in Canada, is it ? Oh well, not my problem ! LOL

For Turkey - Pls. See below my pıst to james_m on the 29th. March 2017
Breeze wrote:
I should tell you that, birth day and birth time are not great imporance to parents here, mainly in back old days and mostly in small towns and in villages where babies were delivered at home by midwives. Parents wld. remember their kids' birthdays by things like related to soil or weather- they wld say his kid was worn at wheat time - and so on... And they wld. just simply choose any day for identification cards of their kids.

So, any birthday datas from this land, let birth hour alone - even the birth day shd be invastigated by great care.
However, the birth time of the babies have being recorded by cameras during birth in private hospitals upon request of families say for 10-15 years, 20 at most. I know from my own expreince :) I am mother of two :)

So, you can provide young people's accurate birth times indivually - I know it is so hard work. But for elder people, it is not something to sure make of accurancy and even if you call the hospitals, they wld. Not provide you this info.

If need any help, pls. Do not hesitate to ask.

Regards
Breeze