Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Extra conditione Sun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astralwanderer

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Extra conditione Sun Reply with quote

Rob Hand in his booklet Night and Day: Planetary Sect in Astrology, introduces the term extra conditione to describe a planet that does not fulfil any of the three main conditions of being in sect (see p. 7 of the booklet).

So Saturn, a diurnal planet, is extra conditione if these conditions apply: being in a nocturnal chart in the hemisphere opposite the Sun in a nocturnal sign. An example would be Sun in Capricorn in the fourth house with Saturn in Cancer in the tenth. Saturn here would be a diurnal planet in a nocturnal chart in the nocturnal hemisphere in a nocturnal sign.

However, my question is this: can the Sun be extra conditione in the example chart given by Hand on p. 56. He describes Nixon's Capricorn Sun, on the cusp of the fifth, as extra conditione. It is certainly a diurnal planet in a nocturnal chart, by definition. It is also a diurnal planet in nocturnal sign. But is the Sun fulfilling at least one condition of sect by defining the diurnal hemisphere.

Hand says that in Nixon's chart the Sun in Capricorn on the cusp of the fifth is extra conditione - i.e. it doesn't fulfil any conditions of its diurnal sect. However, I wonder if the Sun can never actually be extra conditione because it will always fall in the diurnal hemisphere, even if it is below the horizon.

This question was raised during a presentation I gave to my local astrology group on Sunday. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
Mjacob

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while since that book came out and there has been more published since. I would say that the sect light defines whether it is night or day for the other planets to be considered in this light - if you will forgive the unintended pun so I would not define the Sun in this way today
astralwanderer

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi there - thanks for your reply. This is my conclusion too - that the Sun can never be extra conditione because it will always fall in its own diurnal hemisphere. Therefore it will always fulfil at least one of the sect conditions set by Hand.

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
zoidsoft

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

astralwanderer wrote:
Hi there - thanks for your reply. This is my conclusion too - that the Sun can never be extra conditione because it will always fall in its own diurnal hemisphere. Therefore it will always fulfil at least one of the sect conditions set by Hand.

I think the term is "ex conditione" in Latin, the ex meaning "without"? Maybe someone else can confirm this for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: