regarding ben dykes translation of 'Abu Mashar's On Revolutions' - good book, but i would have been looking for some support for relocation charts and i don't recall seeing any either.

i also recall this topic coming up on another thread a couple of years ago..

here is what my search for shlomo sela turned up.. yukionna, i think you might enjoy reading the comments as it relates back to your question/s as i understand it.

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... hlomo+sela

One of the impressions I got from Dykes' writing on this subject and the translation was that the SR would be set for the location of the astrologer, like a horary chart. That was just a gut feeling based on what I perceived to be the tone of the writing. Of course if that was the case, then, should the client be from somewhere distant, the astrologer would be using a relocation chart.

I wonder, though if Abu Mashar wasn't writing a how-to for the charts of the nobility in his culture. The running gag is that in order to do everything he says to do with a solar return, it would take a year to complete one delineation. That's hyperbole of course, but if the astrologer was strictly working for noblemen, they would most likely all be born locally, so the question never came up.

On the other thread, I believe Mark is correct; Morin was the first to state unequivocally that the return chart should be relocated.

Re: Reference place

Yukionna wrote:I've become increasingly uncertain as to what reference place to use with Solar returns, birth place or place of residence. I'm sure arguments for either are valid enough, so I'm more interested in people's experience: what works best?
Thanks
I was born in Northern hemisphere and have lived in Western and Southern hemisphere- so it not just a change of one or two sign away -it is Day/Night difference or winter/Summer apart . If I concentrate on just Sun/ASC/MC/Nodes one thing or the other clicks either in place of birth or in place of residence.

So, to sum it up, I am not sure either.

PD :???:

Thanks for the link James, interesting if not conclusive.

If I look at my own SR for this year, it puts SR MC and Asc in almost exact opposition to natal Moon and Venus resp. when I use place of birth. Nothing significant concerning the pivots in the one using place of residence.

tom,

that is interesting - setting up the chart for where abu was located, although how much of that would be due the fact that people didn't move around to the degree they do today? i am thinking it would have been less common..

pankajdubey and yukionna

we have an advantage in that it sounds as though we all live a good distance from our place of birth.. i think all one can really do is watch, or study the past to help get a better insight into which solar return might work better.. as i think i said initially - i will look at both but tend to favour the local chart over the relocated one for solar returns...

that is interesting - setting up the chart for where abu was located, although how much of that would be due the fact that people didn't move around to the degree they do today? i am thinking it would have been less common..
Since only the well-to-do could avail themselves of Abu Mashar, chances are they were nobility and didn't move. Longitude was a problem in the 9th century, so I'm guessing he used the best he had available. But remember, this is just a guess.