This document is designed to help keep the forum useful, interesting and informative for all members. The guidelines are all relevant so please take the time to read them through and become familiar with them.
All technical issues - log-in/registration problems; making, editing, deleting posts; inserting smilies, setting user preferences, etc., are covered in the FAQ link in the margin. What follows relates to the protocols of using this forum as a medium for appropriate astrological discussion. The first part is an essential summary of rules. The second offers guidelines for problems that tend to recur on this particular board.
1. Forum rules
- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other members. In so doing, members undertake to make their comments freely available to a diverse range of visitors to the site, and so should avoid posting comments that could cause offence or be generally construed as objectionable in content or tone.
- Please ensure that posts are made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
- For the sake of people researching information contained in the posts, please use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help needed!", "New chart", "Problem with a technique!", "Lilly Question" etc. Examples of better titles include; "Query on Orbs", "Lost and found horary", "Problem with progressions", "Lilly's use of frustration", etc.
- Copyright for text and information posted by individual users remains with that user - please respect that and do not reproduce text from this board without permission. This applies to the chart and data, as well as the judgements, of case histories that are contributed to this board.
- Please post in a manner consistent with 'normal writing; - try to avoid excessive use of emoticons , large, small or coloured text, don't SHOUT TOO MUCH, or use freq abbrev., or excessive punctuation!!!!.
That said, don't worry if English is not your first language - we appreciate the effort you make and think it deserves some effort on our part too.
- Members are welcome to post information that is relevant and of interest to forum posts. This includes recommending other astrology sites or detailing services of interest to topics under discussion. Notices about events, new services, etc., are also welcome in the News, Notices, Books & Links section. Blatant advertising that is of no real value to our members, spam, or junk mail however is not tolerated. Anyone posting spam will have their posts removed and will be prevented from making further posts.
- Before posting a request for information please use the search facility to see if that question has already been asked and answered. There is also a search facility at the top of the homepage of Skyscript that will allow you to search the many informative articles on the site that might give a full and detailed answer to your request. At the very least, check through the list of articles.
- The moderating team reserves the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what to remove or edit, or what is construed as indecent, vulgar, offensive, spam, etc. is up to moderators and not users.
- Be aware that periodically this forum is pruned and we cannot guarantee to retain your favourite posts or threads.
2. Forum guidelines
Please remember that this is an astrology discussion forum - not a free chart interpretation/tutorial service. The forum exists for committed students of astrology and we don't want posts saying 'this is my birth data - what does it mean?', or 'I've done a horary chart - what does it mean?' Even if you put 'please', 'I desperately NEED your help', or several exclamation marks after your header, we still don't want those kinds of posts.
We are, however, interested in discussing topics that help students understand broad issues of relevance to all astrologers. So requests for information on particular techniques are appropriate and often this is best explained within the context of a chart you are working on.
We have experienced problems in the past with the horary forum being used as a place to seek guidance on personal concerns rather than astrological enquiries. With the greatest of regret, the forum is not able to offer personal emotional support, or replace the services of a consultational astrologer. Because of the problems we have had in the past, an announcement is kept at the top of the horary forum explaining that such posts are subject to deletion without notice or explanation. It is advised that all forum members read that announcement to avoid unnecessary offence and distress, especially since that problem occurs, from time to time, in other sections of the forum too.
Sometimes we will be able to facilitate discussion by creating an image of the chart, but this process is time-consuming and relies upon someone doing that when they have free time. Please remember that all contributors give their involvement freely, get no recompense for their efforts, and fit their forum activities into busy lifestyles. No one can or should be expected to reply to posts that are of no personal interest to them. We greatly appreciate forum members that are willing to contribute to other people's requests for information or comments, rather than just using the forum when they have a question to ask.
When including chart data in your posts please include the place name, (including state if necessary - and co-ordinates if possible), time and time-zone used. Also give the degree ascending so that other astrologers can verify that they are working with the chart that you are using.
This forum is about learning and sharing. The moderators are experienced and can offer well-formed opinions on certain matters, but they are not infallible and do not pretend to be. Please remember that there are no ultimate authorities on this board - historical or living. We are all learning together and it helps to be prepared to 'have a stab' at things here, even if there is a risk of your judgement proving wrong. Think of this as a testing area and be happy to make mistakes here if you can learn from them for the benefit of your existing or future clients/victims :)
Flaming Posts and Inconsiderate Posters.
Expressions of your personal political views and biases may be a relevant part of any post you make concerning mundane astrology and world-events. However, most readers are looking for astrological reasoning, so where it is necessary to express political or social opinions please remember that this is an astrology site and try to restrain your passions to comments that fall into an appropriate astrological context.
Archiving old posts has made me appreciate what a basically good-natured forum this is. That's not to say that we don't all get a bit tetchy now and again. Sometimes people are inclined to read meanings into posts that weren't intended, sometimes we think we are being humorous but we just come across as patronising or abrasive. We all enjoy some heated debate and passionately argued viewpoints, but if you find a post offensive, try to resist replying immediately - thereby either starting a flaming thread or adding fuel to it. The process of letting your mind get completely absorbed in something else in your life (away from the computer) before replying will often make you realise how petty and insignificant the comment that upset you really is. When your mind is settled you will be able to express your response more effectively and will doubtless find that most people are very quick to apologise if they are made aware that they've caused offence.
The moderators stance is that where a flaming post arises out of the blue and out of character, it's best to give people time to air their views, discuss their grievances and resolve any conflicts. However, anyone that shows an inclination to disregard other people's feelings or repeatedly expresses themself in an inconsiderate manner will be banned - no matter what aspects they have in their birth chart to show that such a tendency should be expected!
If anything that occurs in this forum disturbs you, please report it to one of the moderators or the administrator - ( deb @ skyscript.co.uk [remove spaces to create a working email link]). If you find another member's turn of phrase offensive, it is usually best to raise this with a moderator, so that the matter may be quickly and diplomatically resolved with the minimium risk of public humilitation.
We work hard to try and ensure that this forum remains an informative and constructive vehicle for astrological expression. We hope you enjoy your membership and will always welcome your suggestions for improvement.